Friday, May 19, 2006

Getting Older

Tomorrow we drive to my sister's house in Burr Oak, Kansas to watch the high school graduation of her oldest son, Jake. As I'm preparing one of his graduation gifts, I'm amazed at just how old I am. I remember the day I found out that Jacob Stanton Hesting was brewing in my sister's uterus. It was just a few days after I had graduated from high school (Senior 1987) and was moving my belongings to Boulder, Colorado to figure out what in the hell I was going to do with my life.

Jake made his appearance on December 18, 1987 and I remember him at our apartment in Boulder just one week later at our family's Christmas celebration. Now, I'm the youngest of the Stanton kids, so I had really never been around babies before. I was amazed at this little being and have been amazed at him ever since. This is a young man who is comfortable in his skin. He knows how to meet new people and keep the familiar people in his life. He has spent two weeks in Russia. He's a pretty good athlete and an all-around good young man. I see him play with my two kids and know that he doesn't have to pay any attention to them, but he does. He takes the time to explain what he is doing to my son, Jack and gives countless backrides to my daughter, Gracie.

I'm proud of him and I'm even prouder that he is coming to my alma mater (and current employer), Fort Hays State University. I know he will do well in college and I'm glad that I'll get to see him more often! Congratulations Jake!

No comments: