Thursday, May 18, 2006

Stay-at-home parents



Well, I've been home for the summer break for a total of 3 1/2 days as of noon today and I'm really wondering how stay-at-home parents (both moms and dads) do it without going crazy.

When we first moved to Hays, Dana stayed home with the kids and I couldn't believe that she didn't have the house spotless and a five-course meal fixed each evening when I got home. I have the answer (which, of course, my beautiful wife told me last fall). There is no way possible that you can keep a house clean, prepare meals, do the laundry and everything else wrapped up in a household with a five year old and a two year old running around the house, destroying everything you have put back in place in just a few minutes.

I'm also not sure how people who work from home get things accomplished in their "home office" if there are kids around. I've been working on a freelance project this week and just trying to get some work done between breaking up the fights and changing dirty diapers is quite the challenge.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying spending time with my kids, but I'm learning that I also enjoy the quietness of my little office on the second floor of Malloy Hall on the FHSU campus.

So here's to all of the people who stay at home with kids and try to keep their sanity - you've got one on me!

No comments: